CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

The Lord's Prayer

I read an article about the Lord’s Prayer. The article explains that it was not intended for The Lords Prayer to be recited word for word as a daily prayer. It is an outline of how we are to pray. Here are my notes on what the article taught me.

Matthew 6:9-13
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
Amen

Our Father in heaven - Start my prayer by addressing God in an honoring way. Focus on how powerful He is. Talk to Him about how wonderful He is. Worship Him.

Hallowed be your name - Your name, Lord God, is holy through out heaven. May your name be made holy through out earth, also.

Your kingdom come - May Jesus come quickly to Earth. Our world is so evil and there are so many problems. We need Jesus to come and bring us the new heaven and new earth that God promises to us in the Bible.

Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven - Pray that God’s plan and purpose will be done in my life, in the church, and in the world.

Give us today our daily bread - Ask God to meet my specific physical and spiritual needs, if it is in God’s will to do so.

Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors - Confess my sins to God, ask for forgiveness, thank God for sending Jesus to die for us because of our sins, and ask for His help to no longer sin. Also, ask God for help with forgiving others and not holding on to bitterness.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one - Ask for God to guide me spiritually and to rescue me from Satan’s attacks and temptation to sin.

For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever -
Like I started my prayer, honoring God - I end my prayer, honoring God. He is the focus of the prayer. His plan for the future will happen.

Amen - This means “so be it”. The Bible also says to pray in Jesus’ Name. I can pray to God, through Jesus.