CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Use What You Have

“There is no point in praying for God to give you money so you can be a blessing to others if you are not being a blessing with what you already have. Satan will try to tell you that you don’t have anything to give - but don’t believe him.”
- Joyce Meyer from the Ending Your Day Right devotional book.

It has taken me a long time to understand this. I spent many years looking forward to the day that I could afford to really help others. I didn’t want to do something “small”. I wanted to do something “big”. But, I got tired of waiting around and I found ways to help that cost me nothing.

Try praying something like this: Please help me figure out how I can help others. I’d like to give of myself on a larger scale, but for now I’ll do what You want me to do with what I have.

Luke 16:10 “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.” NLT

Here are some ideas to help others that don’t cost money:

  • Tutor a neighbor kid.
  • Collect canned food from your neighbors and give them to a food ministry.
  • Pass out homemade Christmas cards and cookies with an invitation to your church’s Christmas event.
  • Disciple another Christian by going through a bible lesson with him or her.
  • Send encouraging e-mails or e-cards to relatives and friends letting them know that you are praying for them.
  • Have an outdoor Bible Story Club for the neighbor kids.
  • Volunteer to help out and baby-sit for a single mother that can’t afford to pay.
  • Collect blankets for a homeless shelter.
  • Start a Bible study at work.
  • Make a friend at a nursing home and visit once a week
  • Grow extra vegetables in your garden and give them to a Christian soup kitchen or share with your neighbors.
  • Invite and take a non-Christian friend or neighbor to church events.
  • Promote professional looking sites that explain salvation like The Flipz Site, The Alive Site, and The Seek Site.
  • Be a sponsorship display volunteer for World Vision.
  • Share your Christian books and magazines with both Christians and non-Christians.